Top 19 Accomplishments in 2019
Season's greetings and happy New Year! Last night brought the end of a decade and the beginning of a new one. MCAN already has ambitious plans for 2020, but first we'd like to pause and reflect on our top 19 college access and attainment successes that happened in the last year.
In 2019, MCAN:
- Received a three-year $1.35 million grant from The Kresge Foundation to support our work and launch new initiatives;
- Awarded $929,000 in grants to 41 organizations across the state;
- Hosted 125 key stakeholders in the MIHEART Talent Summit;
- Empowered 56 college advisers to serve through the AdviseMI program;
- Engaged 343 high schools in the College Bound Michigan Initiatives;
- Celebrated the receipt of a $150,000 grant from the Ralph C. Wilson, Jr. Foundation;
- Offered professional development to 635 people at the 2019 MCAN Annual Conference;
- Monitored 15 House and Senate bills proposed by the State of Michigan legislature;
- Adopted the governor's new Sixty by 30 goal;
- Hired 1 new executive director;
- Trained 56 LCAN colleagues at our combined Maritime Academy and coached 27 Local College Access Networks in their collective impact work;
- Awarded more than 11,000 SCECHs earned through training opportunities;
- Broadcast 2 videos by Gov. Gretchen Whitmer about college attainment;
- Engaged over 100 attendees representing 23 school-based teams at the inaugural Michigan Postsecondary Strategy Institute;
- Served 18,053 students through AdviseMI in the 2018-19 program year and connected with 129 AdviseMI alumni as a network;
- Established a 75% FAFSA completion goal for 2020;
- Honored 11 leaders with College Access Impact Awards;
- Organized 15 different events; and
- Hosted 99 individuals for our third annual College Access Advocacy Day.
MCAN's annual report will be released this spring and provide a more in-depth review of the year. Thank you to all of the phenomenal college access and attainment leaders who support MCAN and help improve the future of Michigan students. We can't wait to work with you in 2020.